General Principles and Processes of Isolation of Elements
Assertion :In froth floatation method, collectors such as pine oil xanthates are added to the suspension of powdered ore.
Reason :Collectors stabilizes the froth.
- Both Assertion and Reason are correct and Reason is the correct explanation for Assertion
- Both Assertion and Reason are correct but Reason is not the correct explanation for Assertion
- Assertion is correct but Reason is incorrect
- Both Assertion and Reason are incorrect
Correct Answer: Option(c)
- Froth floatation method is used for removing gangue from sulphide ores. In this process, a suspension of the powdered ore is made with water.
- Collectors and froth stabilisers are added to it. Collectors (e.g., pine oils, fatty acids, xanthates, etc.) enhance nonwettability of the mineral particles and froth stabilisers (e.g., cresols, aniline) stabilise the froth.
- Hence,assertion is correct and reason is incorrect.